Avellanas Beach is well known for its perfect surf conditions during the entire year, with swells from the North and South and water temperatures always between 70-80 degrees. This pristine beach offers breaks for all tastes and ability levels, from beach break to reef and river mouth, Avellanas has a wave for everyone. Hollow and fast or slow and smooth, Playa Avellanas is the perfect place for surfing. Along the beach the visitors will be able to find a variety of well knows breaks like:
- El Parqueo is a beach break located almost in front of the main entrance to the beach; this spot offers soft lefts and rights perfect for the less experienced surfers.
- La Purruja is a reef break located at the south beginning of the beach. This wave is very famous for the most experienced surfers and locals which riding this big left. Depending on swell and wind you will surf a strong barrel.
- El Palo Seco is located around 150 meters north from the El Parqueo. The reference point is a dead tree that lies on the beach exactly in front of this beach break which is known for its peak forming a rideable wave both left and right and is the ideal for the surf lessons session.
- El Estero is the preferred place for the locals and it is easy to know why; this break is very consistent and its peak makes great formed lefts and rights over reef and sandy bottom.
- Little Hawai is the most famous spot of Playa Avellanas; it is located at the North end of the beach. This reef break creates mostly right hander waves which can get up to 18 feet, obviously this place is recommended only for experts.
We have more than 19 years experience living and surfing in Playa Avellanas, as well as instructors with more than 10 years of teaching experience and Red Cross certification in First Aid and Aquatic Rescue
We are the only professional surf school around the area to have met the criteria recognized by ICT (Costa Rican Chamber of Tourism) including certificated guides that provides our clients with complete liability insurance through INS (National Insurance Institute).
Surfing is without any doubt the finest sport, is extreme, pastime, exercise, relaxation, work, way of life and so spiritual…. okay okay SURFING is the BEST. We will teach our visitors more than just a cool way of riding a wave; in our surf lessons you will learn about loving the ocean and nature, conservation consciousness, safety, have lots of fun and obviously all the necessary basics for surfing: pre-surf stretching exercises, reading the ocean, how to stand up properly, and how to ride the wave.
For our lessons we will provide you with all necessary equipment: rashguard for your comfort and soft top surf boards to avoid injury.